|Object Name||Plate, Central Christian Church|
Commerative Plate for the "Central Christian Church/Galveston, Texas/1929-1969." Made by World Wide Art Studios, Convington, Tennessee. The front of the plate features a red and white illustration of the church and its grounds. A fluted and gilded edge decorates the plate. The back inscription reads:
The first attempt to establish a Christian Church in Galveston was in 1877. The first building was constructed at 20th and K in 1895. The tidal wave of 1900 demoralized the work of the church considerably. In 1924 a temporary building was erected at 23rd and M. The construction of this building at 28th and O1/2 began in 1929 and dedication services for the completed building were held Sunday, January 26, 1930 under the ministry of Rev. G.W. McQuiddy. The present minister, John T. Muir, Jr., is the nineteenth minister to serve the Galveston Church.